Wednesday, March 1, 2017

The Start



Introduction:

My husband and I both having hearing loss, and met one summer when both of us worked at the same place. He is Deaf, and I, hard-of-hearing.  The loss has created a unique dynamic in our home, as I essentially had to learn American Sign Language (ASL).  This has been a long journey, and one that we are still working on.

Our three boys each have a varying degree of hearing loss. Our oldest, was recently diagnosed, and he poses the most struggle with it.  He's scared about what it means, and the changes that he'll have to deal with because of it.

He's more than halfway through Kindergarten, and has already had to deal with the struggle of fitting in, and bullying.  He feels this will be another thing to add to the difference between him, and his peers.  As a mother, this makes me sad.  He is a bright child, with so much to offer.

His loss is not that severe, but it poses the risk of putting him behind in school.
The yellow area is called the speech banana.  I mapped out his audiogram on this sheet I printed out, just because I was curious to see where he fell. Based on this he is missing sounds that will help with learning to read (sounding out words), following directions from his teacher, as well as his peers.  This is so important for me to know, as his mother because we are putting together an IEP for him.  The information allows me to make decisions about what we can do for him, when it comes to the classroom, and his learning.

Our second child was diagnosed fairly soon after birth.  He failed his hearing test at birth, and we were referred to an Audiologist to have his hearing tested.

When we went in for that test they did ABR on him.  It showed quite a significant loss in both ears, and he was fitted for hearing aids.
The above picture is the Audiogram that I mapped out for him.

We struggled through his IEP (this will have to be another post entirely), as we had no clue what to expect, or what we could ask for.  We're learning, and moving forward from our mistakes.

He is currently receiving Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, DHH, and regular ED.  He's only in 4K, and his days are busy!

The baby of the family failed his hearing test at birth as well, and we were once again referred to audiology.  His path has been a struggle to get the right audiologist to actually do the testing.  He's going on two, and we have finally received confirmation that he is Deaf.

Did not map out his audiogram because it's basically a flat line way at the bottom of the chart.  Nothing was picked up.

There is SO much to share, about each individual, and their struggles, but I think it would be best to write a post relating to only one at a time.

Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment